Nayan Padrai is an award-winning filmmaker, who was born in Mumbai and raised in NYC.
He is focused on writing and producing film and TV scripts, primarily based on true stories, mythology, adaptations and topical subject matter for live-action, documentaries, and animation in the US and India.
A partial list of current projects:
- Filmmaker on documentary about digital accessibility
- Creator of a critically acclaimed fantasy-action book series to write and produce.
- Wrote the screenplay for Billion Dollar Raja, inspired by the true story of the largest insider trading case in US History involving Raj Rajaratnam, Rajat Gupta and Preet Bharara amongst others. The script for Billion Dollar Raja was honored by the WGA’s Feature Access Project and made it to The Black List website’s Featured Scripts. Nayan and Sheetal are fellows of the PGA’s Power of Diversity Workshops for this project.
A partial list of past projects:
- Developed a mythological series based on one of the most critically acclaimed and best-selling book trilogies in South Asia.
- Nayan and Sheetal are writers, voice directors and show-runners on an animated series for producer Adi Shankar. The series is currently in post-production. The story is steeped in Indian mythology and western superheroes with contemporary themes.
- Commissioned to write the pilot for a crime drama series set in the underbelly of an urban city by an international production house.
- Wrote an original comedy-road trip film for an Indian film star, who will direct and star in a role.
- Developed two series for Roy Kapur Films.
- Created a limited series for Baldwin Entertainment.
- Wrote the story for a bio-pic on India’s most brilliant and controversial legal mind for RSVP Films (Ronnie Screwvala) and Renegade (Kunal Kemmu and Soha Ali Khan).
- Nayan co-wrote, produced and directed his first feature film “When Harry Tries to Marry.” He also produced the film’s soundtrack. “When Harry Tries to Marry” became a festival darling, winning several awards and prestigious screenwriting contests. The film was released in North America by Warner Bros on VOD and licensed internationally.
Nayan is a member of the WGA (West) and the Film Writers Association (FWA) Mumbai, India. He is a former co-chair of the WGA (W) Asian American Writers Committee and a former advisor to the WGA Feature Writer Access Project. He is a member of BMI for songwriting.
Nayan has been a guest speaker at various industry events, and colleges including Ithaca College, Pace University and Stonybrook University. Nayan has written guest blogs for IndieWire, Filmmaker and The Wall Street Journal. Nayan first coined the phrase “Direct Distribution” on Ted Hope’s Hope for Film blog.
Prior to his filmmaking career, Nayan was the Co-Founder and President of Cinemaya Media Group in New York. He produced over 300 hours of television programming and ran its advertising agency Elephant, which was in the top 15 multicultural agencies ranked by AdAge.
Nayan is represented by Lee Keele at Gersh and Caleb Franklin’s team at Matter (India)
Nayan lives in Los Angeles with his family.
Industry Guest Blogs
Go Into The Story
Dispatch From The Front Line – Nayan Padrai on “Billion Dollar Raja”
Wall Street Journal
I Promised Myself I’d Make a Film Before I Turned 35…
How We Financed When Harry Tries to Marry Through Staged Readings
IndieWire: Hope for Film Blog
“Why We Call It DIRECT DISTRIBUTION Instead Of DIY”
In the News
The Hollywood Reporter
Billion Dollar Raja selected as WGA Feature Access Project Honoree
The Hollywood Reporter
108 Production Plans Film About Hedge Fund Manager Convicted of Fraud